Two years ago, a trip to Lassen Volcanic N.P. coalesced into a definitive experience, a perfect fusion of the right factors, the right place, and the right time. Out of that experience, I determined to refocus my writing around my passions, a decision which eventually led to this blog.
The connections on that Lassen trip ultimately came together into one central idea, “identity.” (Campfire Tales continues to present that vision in pieces…)
Months later, a trip to Death Valley N.P. synthesized into a similar meditation on, “memory.”
While not every trip results in a concentrated theme (Thank goodness! Forced themes lead to some awkward results, for instance, a few of the posts on this blog, or the year my high school band’s chosen inspirational theme word = “smashing.” Huh?!)
I sense that my fast-approaching vacation to Utah parks has something to do with, “opportunity.”
Why? I’m not sure yet. Right place, right time, right factors… Here are a few:
- My original traveling companion, Friend #1, recently experienced a serious hiking accident, involving a dislocated shoulder, a broken arm, surgery, months of anticipated recuperation, and a withdrawal from our planned camping trip. Trip cancelled?
- Friend #2 volunteered to fly across the country and go camping. Trip confirmed!
- Friend #2 couldn’t get the time off, or afford the last minute airfare. Trip cancelled?
- Friend #3, undergoing a career transition, suddenly became available to join me. Trip confirmed!
- My employer, for the first time in the eleven+ years I’ve been there, put restrictions on vacation dates. Trip cancelled?
- The predicted project jeopardizing my vacation did not get approved (yet). Trip confirmed!
You get the picture, right? Add into that: turmoil over trees that almost (but not quite) resulted in my volunteering (again) for my HOA Board of Directors; a pinched nerve in my arm; this crazy weather (earthquakes! hurricanes! oh my!); and so on.
(Oh, poor, poor trees… How dearly I remember you. Maybe not exactly like this, but who cares?)
Anyway, I’m thrilled the Utah trip is still on, and I can’t wait to share it with you!